From Legends of Aria Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Shards combat system is a simple skill level to effectiveness translation. The higher the skills, the higher the chance of hitting, and the more damage dealt when hitting.

Colosseum - mini.jpg

Tactical information[edit | edit source]

Shards implements a unique tactical combat system. While you can sit back, relax, and swing away with the auto=attack and still be effective, the combat system holds additional rewards for sound tactics.

Positioning is IMPORTANT

  • Your attack range varies depending on which weapon you are using as well as what special ability you may activate.
  • Defenders have a harder time defending from the sides and back than attacks coming head on.
  • Hits from directly behind are CRITICAL and more damaging.

Hits from behind[edit | edit source]

  • 0 parry when getting hit in back
  • 1.2x damage when getting hit in back
  • 80% less chance to block when getting hit in back
  • 70% less chance to dodge when getting hit in back

Combat mechanics[edit | edit source]

Melee Combat[edit | edit source]

Weapons vary by damage type, range, speed, and the primary stat associated with using that weapon. Shorter weapons tend to swing faster, and longer weapons slower.

There are THREE (3) main types of weapons in Shards Online which relate to how the weapons are used and the associated skill.


Most weapons also deal the corresponding damage type, to the way they are used, though there are some non-conformists that have deal a different damage type than the associated skill.

Weapon attack rates are dependent on the physical stats of the character, Strength (STR) and Agility (AGI).
The Primary stat associated with each weapon, are used to determine which stats have heavier influence on the attack speed, and damage of the weapon.
Agility weapons are usually faster, with lower damage, while Strength weapons are usually slow attacking, but heavy hitting. There are also balanced weapons that have a closer to equal weighting of each of those stats toward attack speed. In relation to damage, base damage is weighted very heavily if not completely toward the primary stat.

Weapon Hit Chance:
Hit chance in melee, is determined by the Melee skill, regardless of which weapon is being used.
The Chest is the largest target and so that is where most hits land.
Each miss causes a recovery penalty, so the next attack is slightly slower.
The magnitude of the failure increases this penalty, so an outright miss, carries a larger penalty than being parried or dodged.

Combat stances[edit | edit source]

Combat Stances provide benefits to offense or defense at the expense of the other. The trade-off is imbalanced, so the price is greater than the gain.

There are currently 3 combat stances:

  • Aggressive : +20% Attack Rate, +20% Crit Rate, -25% Block Chance, -50% Parry Rate, -25% Dodge Chance
  • Passive : This is standard, no +/-
  • Defensive : +25% Block Duration, +30% Parry Chance, +20% Dodge Chance, -25% Attack Rate, Vulnerable duration increased by 50%

Combat abilities change the pace of combat. The Shards combat system is trend tuned, so average DPS remains reasonably the same across large time periods, but in short time frames may vary significantly.

Combat Abilities temporarily increase the DPS, but as with any elastic system this is usually counterbalanced by a slower attack following the execution of an ability.

Use of a combat ability costs stamina even if you fail.

Combat abilities[edit | edit source]

There are 3 classes of combat abilities in Shards:

  • Instant: abilities, are performed immediately, regardless of when you initiate them. So you can perform them right after you have landed a hit.
  • Triggered: abilities are performed on the next regular combat swing.
  • Effect: can either be instant or triggered.
    • Instant effects are applied immediately but do not necessarily coincide with an attack.
      • (Flurry is an effect ability which augments attack speed for its duration)
    • Triggered effects are applied at the next attack, some depend on success or failure of the attack others are agnostic.
      • (Sunder/Impale effects require successful attacks, while FollowThrough does Not)

Combat abilities may combine more than one type. (Lunge and charge both provide movement effects and instant attacks, with the movement portion being agnostic of attack success)

Implemented abilities[edit | edit source]

  • Flurry:
Type: Effect
Increases attack speed significantly for 3-5 attacks. The final attack is slowed greatly.
During Flurry, damage is decreased by 10-30% for the fast attacks.

  • Sunder:
Type: Instant
The next successful attack will deal decreased damage -10% to - 30% (Depending on skill).
Applies "Sundered Armor" to the target, increasing penetration of attacks they receive for the duration.

  • Defense:
Type: Effect
Temporarily increase all defensive capabilities (parry, block, dodge) while decreasing attack speed.

  • Lunge:
Type: Instant
An attack that stretches to reach target, temporarily increasing attack range for one attack. This attack has damage reduced by 30-50%.
(Resets Swing)

  • Charge:
Type: Instant
Charge toward target at increased speed, increasing damage for next attack by 20-75% and crit chance by 10%.
(Resets Swing)

  • Follow Through:
Type: Instant
The next swing will trigger two attacks. The first dealing increased damage by 10-25% and the second reduced damage by -10 - 25%.
(Resets Swing)

  • Pommel:
Type: Instant
Attempts to strike the target with the handle of the current weapon dealing 30-50% damage after a successful parry or dodge.

  • Shield Bash:
Type: Instant
Slam your shield into your opponent while in the blocking state, dealing 70-120% of shield damage and staggering the target.

  • Pulverize:
Type: Triggered
A powerful blow dealing 40-60% bonus damage to the target.

  • Rend:
Type: Triggered
Wrenches the weapon on hitting the target causing them to bleed profuseley. (Applies Rend Effect - small DoT and penalty to healing)

  • Impale:
Type: Triggered
Drives the weapon deep into the target temporarily slowing their attack speed and dealing increased damage.

  • Backstab:
Type: Instant
While stealthed the rogue sneaks behind their target and deals a surprise attack dealing bonus 250-350% damage and slowing the target.

  • Puncture:
Type: Instant
Increase damage for the next attack and 100% bonus crit chance.
  • Perforate:
Type: Effect
Increased attack speed, reduced base damage and 100% bonus crit chance for the duration.

  • Eviscerate:
Type: Effect
Slight damage increase to the next attack, 100% crit chance bonus, 2x bleed damage.

  • Evasion:
Type: Effect
Doubles dodge chance for a short duration while decreasing attack speed, and reducing stamina regeneration.
  • Onslaught:
Type: Effect
Increase attack speed and damage slightly over the next few attacks, while draining stamina..

Spells and combat[edit | edit source]

Most projectile combat spells are blockable and dodgeable.
Fireball is a projectile/ Lightning is not a projectile.
During spell casting a portion of the mana is diverted to the magical field surrounding the mage (called the Spell Buffer). The strength of this field can reduce damage received while the spell is being primed.
The greater the buffer the greater the mana diverted. Once the spell is primed mana in the spell buffer is released and the buffer dispelled.
(This means that priming spells costs mana, though the total cost to prime and release remains unchanged, the stance affects the balance of the cost between the two stages)

While casting Block/Dodge chance are reduced

Combat Stances do affect spell casting:

  • Aggressive stance increases the spell crit chance but reduces the spell buffer, meaning there is little damage reduction when hit while priming a spell. Spell Buffer 5% of Mana Cost
    This also means that priming spells is cheaper and aborting them is more forgiving.
  • Defensive stance increases the spell buffer, lowering the damage taken while priming spells. This means that aborting a spell once its primed is more expensive. Spell Buffer 25% of mana cos + additional 15% from skills
  • Passive Spell Buffer10% of mana cost + additional 5% depending on skills

Spell Buffer: Reduces Incoming damage by the level of the buffer (how much mana has been stored.) Up to 50% of the damage taken.

Current spells[edit | edit source]


  • Fireball (Projectile)
  • Pillar of Fire (AOE) Extreme Damage
  • Wall of Fire (AOE) Significant Damge
  • Aura of Flame (AOE) Moderate Damage
  • Flame Wave

* Targets who are already burning automatically cause all fire damage received to be upgraded to critical


  • Lightning (Significant Damage) (Slow on crit)
  • Teleport (Significant Damage + Stun)
  • Cloak
  • Electric Bolt (Crit Slow)
  • Chain Lightning (Crit Slow)


  • Frost Bolt (Projectile Significant Damage + Crit Stun)
  • Heal (Crit regenerative effect)
  • Greater Heal (Requires Ginseng reagent)
  • Poison (Damage over time. Reduces Healing by 40%, Reduces Regeneration by 40%)
  • Cure
  • Ice Rain (AoE + Crit Stun)


  • Rock Bombardment (Projectile Crit Stagger)
  • Spiked Path (AOE) (Extreme Damage and Range, Crit Slow)


  • Ressurect
  • Soul Drain
  • Summon Skeleton
  • Summon Imp
  • Grim Aura
  • Void Blast